This course is a 4-week exploratory, generative writing course. Each week we will read short non-traditional essays inspired by found forms, generate three first drafts of new writing inspired by the form, and enjoy lively discussion in our classroom forum about the assigned readings and each other’s original drafts. The syllabus provides prompts to get the discussion going—but students are encouraged to come up with their own questions and food for thought.
* Discover creative inspiration within the common minutia and fodder of everyday life.
* Study and discuss the ways in which the assigned short pieces utilize found forms.
* Explore structural constraints to generate new material with imagery and other sensory detail.
* Write and revise short pieces of creative nonfiction that incorporate structure concepts inspired by the work we’ve read in class.
* Connect with other writers by reading their work and offering feedback.
For more details and registration, click here.